Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Children's Favorite Casserole








There is nothing easier to throw together after a long day than a casserole, and the League of Women Voters of Illinois knew this back in 1971 when they published this chic little “Hasty Lady” Cookbook. Filled with quick and tasty recipes, it also gives helpful tips, such as this gem:  “No time-saving device beats a well-trained 12-year-old”. SOLD!

Lots of yummy-looking recipes in here, but good LORD, there is a recipe for a casserole specifically For Children, made with BEER? I know, I know, the alcohol is cooked out… it just seems so funny! I do cook with booze all the time, and who doesn’t love a casserole?  Even though the “cheese mixture” had me a liiiiiittle grossed out, I decided to give it a try. 

Turns out, sure – it’s easy to whip up, and fairly tasty. It wasn’t my own child’s favorite, though, because I think, even at eight, she prefers champagne.


Children’s Favorite Casserole

1 lb. ground beef
1 Tbsp oil
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
1 6 oz.  can tomato paste
1 cup beer
1 tsp salt
½ tsp Tabasco
½ tsp. oregano
1 cup cottage cheese
8 oz. cream cheese
½ cup sour cream
1 green pepper, chopped
8 oz. broad noodles, cooked and drained


Brown beef in hot oil. Add tomato sauce and paste, beer, salt, Tabasco , and oregano. Cook 10 minutes and remove from heat.

Mix cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, and green pepper in a separate bowl.

Spread half the noodles over bottom of a greased 2 quart casserole or lasagna dish. Cover with cheese mixture, then with remaining noodles. Pour beef sauce over top.

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

Serves 4 heartily.  Easy to double recipe. Can be made night before of frozen before baking.

4 comments:

  1. Beer! Ha! I think I love that. It looks pretty good - kind of like a lasagna with a twist. The twist being beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Actually, I'd rather eat lasagne and drink a beer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT TO HAVE THIS RECIPE THANKS SO MUCH, IT WILL BE A WINNER AFTER I GET AN OVEN FOR MY NEW PLACE...YUH-UHHHMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy!! I'm sure you could also make variations of this... uh oh, now I'm hungry again! :)

    ReplyDelete