How to make mashed potatoes for a crowd:
One vat of mashed potatoes, coming up - WITH A SMILE!
Helper = the only way to do it!
Oooh yeah, look at all this compost!
An immersion blender may help...
- Buy one russet potato per person and scrub them clean
- Enlist your helper to peel them – having a “race” is great for motivation, plus you can surreptitiously check your phone while they work, which is just like management in real life!
- Boil em up for about 30 min in the biggest pot you can find. Cauldron? Perhaps.
- Let cool, or else OUCH! If this is Thanksgiving, this is a good time to schedule a fight with your ex. Plan for at least an hour. Drain.
- Mash the heck out of the potatoes. Get your aggressions out!
- Melt some butter – about 2 Tbsp per potato, but use your judgment. Less if you plan to eat them, more if you plan to induce heart failure in elderly relatives.
- Combine melted butter and milk (about ¼ cup per potato, to taste and desired thickness) into the large pot. Incorporate with potatoes.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Note: fresh ground pepper is really the ONLY way to get radical with mashed potatoes. OK that and maybe a parsley garnish, but please, no Sriracha sauce or truffle butter or foie gras! Leave the innovation to the TV cooking contests and nobody will get hurt. Well, that depends on step 4…
- Serve with a smile and ENJOY!