Friday, May 27, 2011

Tea with Amanda




I recently had the pleasure of enjoying a “cuppa” with my dear friend from England, Amanda Foxlow – and the funny thing is, she herself won’t go near the stuff! But she was kind enough to show me how to prepare one, as she does often for her husband who does actually drink tea. Wouldn’t you like to join us? Click here for our YouTube video!

The first time I drank tea was in 1982 (age 11) when my mom and I went to London. That year, the dollar was EQUAL to the pound, so we really lived it up, including having High Tea at Harrods. For a little girl (or anyone really IMHO) this is an experience to do once in a lifetime, and you’ll not regret nor forget it. I recall spending nearly an hour adjusting the tea with drops of sugar and dashes of milk, till I got it JUST RIGHT, and then adding more tea to warm it up and having to repeat the process. I was in heaven, and my mom put up with it. I know there were scones and clotted cream and preserves and tea cakes and sandwiches too, but really what got me was the tea. I was hooked.

I’ve been a tea drinker ever since, and I must admit I go through buckets of it every day! Still, it never helps to brush up on your technique, so I asked Amanda to give us a run-through on making a proper cup of tea. (This is different from preparing a whole pot, if you are having guests, or from using loose tea if you are feeling posh.) This clip shows how to prepare a nice “cuppa”, the kind the English, or those of them who still drink tea, might have in the morning. And while we’re on the subject of the UK, I must also thank Amanda as well the fabulous Miss Karen Finlay for the superb collection of Royal Wedding goodies I am proud to own. I think I’ll settle in with my Yorkshire Tea and read The Sun, to find out what’s REALLY going on in the world. Chin chin!


Tea with Amanda

Pour boiling water over a single good quality tea bag, such as Yorkshire Tea (made by Appointment to HRH The Prince of Wales). Soak (steep) for 1 – 4 minutes, then remove tea bag. Add a dash of milk and a drop of sugar, to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment