Sunday, April 10, 2011

Raspberry Roundup (Jell-O Part 2)





As many of you know, I LOVE Jell-O, so it was with delight that I received as a gift this handy-dandy 1980 General Foods “The Jell-O Gelatin Salad Selector” from my cousin Peggy. (Actually, Peggy sent me a whole box of old cookbooks from various family members, which was a real treasure-trove, and a story for another day) Give me any excuse to make Jell-O, and I’m thrilled!

The divine thing about this “pamphlet” (I’m somewhat at a loss as to what to call it, since it came to me as separated pages that may have been bound together in some way originally) is that each page begins with the type of meat dish you are planning: “Making Hamburger Tonight?” and then suggests a Jell-O salad o accompany it. If that one isn’t to your liking, just SPIN THE WHEEL and select another! And some of them even looked pretty good! No more 50s way-too-bizarre concoctions with shrimp, tuna, olives, onions, sour cream…. (as disgusting as that sounds, there are HUNDREDS of recipes for these “delights”)

I made this up happily the night before (one of the “things” about Jell-O – it is NOT spontaneous. No wonder it wasn’t popular in the 70s…) and l always love the suspense of the un-molding: will it turn out? YES it did! And it is even quite yummy – just the tart berry Jell-O mixed with applesauce. Of course it’s “great with any pork dish” – good old General Foods, they were right!


Raspberry Roundup

1 package (3 oz) Jell-O Brand Raspberry Flavor Gelatin
1 cup boiling water
1 cup applesauce
1 Tbsp. vinegar

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add applesauce and vinegar and pour into 2-cup mold. Chill until firm, about 3 hours. Unmold. Garnish as desired. Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment